Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day 2011

Father's Day is a difficult day for me some years. My dad was missing from my life from about age 9 until age 18. During that time we didn't talk a whole ton, and we didn't have much of a close relationship. During the past 4 years or so that my dad has been back in my life, I have still had trouble building up a relationship. Things are awkward and distant still. Along with that, his health has slowly gotten worse and worse. He is not quite 50 yet and I worry how long he will still be around.

Most conversations and visits with my dad are quiet, and very awkward. When I called my dad to wish him happy father's day yesterday, I didn't expect much difference. While things were awkward at first, I just kinda quit thinking about it and tried to talk about just whatever I could think of. It ended up being about an hour long phone call. It was still kinda of quiet, with awkward silent pauses here and there, but it seemed to be an improvement from past conversations.

We just mainly talked about what's going on in each other's lives over the past month or two since we have last talked. With him, there's never really anything new. With me, I just told him what I've been up to recently, between attending and planning birthday parties, babysitting, cleaning house, and so on.

On a better note, we had James' parents and siblings over for dinner for father's day. James made some delicious barbeque chicken on the grill and I made perogies and green beans to go along with it. The meal was a good success. Everyone found it very delicious, and sometimes his family seems hard to please, so I was glad to see that they all enjoyed it. We got to enjoy time on the back porch in the decent weather, and we played xbox kinect games for a while too. So yesterday wasn't too terribly bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment